Providing both additional living space and a place to enjoy without the outside weather elements. Sunrooms are generally added onto the back of a home, with walls mainly or entirely made with high performance insulated tempered glass. Arizona Rooms will be windproof and waterproof; and a Sunroom is usually built on a foundation and/or under an existing covered patio, air conditioned and fully insulated.
- Depending on size and existing conditions, adding a professionally installed Screen Room can start around $5,000 -$15,000 for a custom built version including additional options.
- Arizona Rooms with insulated single pane or double pane tempered glass walls start around $15,000 -$35,000 including some prep and foundation work.
- Sunrooms adding square footage along with temperature-controlled, prep and foundation work for a 200 square-foot area costs can be upwards of $40,000 + depending on design options.
What should be included?
- Typically a Sunroom project takes one to several weeks. Sunrooms can easily be designed to blend seamlessly with the architecture of the rest of the home. Better Homes & Gardens Check with your local planning department for building codes and permit requirements. Permit costs can range from several hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on the location and the size and complexity of the proposed house addition.
Shopping for a Sunroom:
- Decide how the Sunroom will be used (fair weather-only or year-round, personal retreat or family gathering space) and see our sunroom photos for appealing sunroom designs and options for an overview plus a list of issues to consider before adding a sunroom.
- Get at least 4-5 estimates, making sure what is (and isn’t) in each quote; understand whether all prep and clean-up work is included. For prefabs, ask to tour a model and a finished room in someone’s home. For custom built, request and check references. Ask about the contractor’s length and type of experience; and be sure they’re properly bonded, insured and registered with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors and check with the Better Business Bureau.